top of page
415479084_122117607842130733_2849403665049552369_n.jpg
Screenshot (136)_edited.jpg

Remembering The Past To rebuild the Future

Washington Street was created and given its name in 1860. By 1960, the Washington Street district, covering nine magnificent blocks, consisted of over 50 businesses of all kinds as well as numerous churches, civic organizations, and educational institutions. In 2010, Washington Street was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and just this year, in February 2024, Washington Street became High Point’s fourth historic district.

500 Washington Street

The building that once stood at 500 Washington Street was a two-story, four-bay brick commercial structure with notable architectural details. The flat-roofed metal canopy, which sheltered the storefront throughout much of the twentieth century, was removed after the year 2000. The entire building, including its large sash windows, was in the later years painted bright red with Asian-themed exterior decorations. The west facing side featured faux arched double-leaf doors, a three-part entrance, and Chinese motif sculpture, which extends across the rear elevation of a one-story addition built by 1924. Originally addressed as 400 East Washington Street, the building's first-floor space was vacant in 1919, while the second floor hosted John J. Parks, William Keeble, hairdresser Louella Chavis, and the North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Company. By 1921, the Washington Street Grocery operated on the first floor, with various tenants occupying the second floor, including insurance agents, pressing clubs, and religious leaders. Through the 1920s and 1930s, the building saw various grocery stores on the first floor, including Joseph Levine's grocery, Overcash Grocery, and Hylton's Cash Store. Professional offices, including those of attorney T. F. Sanders, dentist J. C. Morgan, and insurance companies occupied the second floor. From the 1940s to 1960s, the building's tenants included medical practices, notably those of Dr. Clifford T. Whitten and Dr. J.C. Morgan, and businesses such as the Bargain Center and Specialty Food Products Company. Dr. James Christopher Morgan, or J.C. Morgan for short, was a prominent tenant. He was a Jamaican native who graduated from Howard University and established a dental practice in High Point in 1921, serving both African American and white clients. He married Ophelia Robinson and built a home in the Griffin Park subdivision in 1941. Dr. Morgan was a civic leader involved in numerous community organizations, including the City Municipal Park, the Federal Housing Authority Board, and the High Point Professional Men's Club. He also developed several commercial properties in the area.

416325120_760642772772570_1001024087682175274_n.jpg_stp=dst-jpg_p180x540&_nc_cat=101&ccb=1

3,000 Bricks Were Salvaged For Reuse

Highlighting the historical context of Washington Street as  whole. It is important that the new structure we intend to build on this street not only caters to the community but retains its cultural significance as well. To aid in that we have reclaimed over 2000 bricks from the previous building to go specifically towards the construction of the S.T.E.M., Gym, and Arts Complex. 

Complex_edited.jpg

Pre-Register to purchase a reclaimed Brick to be layed into the walls of

D-UP's S.T.E.M., Gym + Arts Complex

  • Long-lasting legacy is displayed within the walls of the Complex 

  • Your contribution supports our fundraising goals which goes towards the construction, sustainability and future projects within the Washington Street Enhancement Project.

  • The Reclaimed bricks are not only an eco-friendly alternative, its is also a historical piece of Washington Street with your name or organization on it.

We'll be in contact shortly!

bottom of page